JiYoon Park is an artist filmmaker who makes creative non-fiction cinema, currently based in Seoul, South Korea. She explored temporality through short films ‘The Way We Wait’(2020) and ‘Once Upon a Time’(2020). And through ‘Like You Know It All’(2021) and ‘Out of Place’(2022), she attempted to depict the unfathomable vastness of human mind.
Juxtaposition and recontextualisation is her main filmmaking style. By capturing surreal and unfamiliar moments, she tried to find hidden and unexpected meanings in our daily lives. Her films were shown worldwide in galleries, TV channels and numerous festivals, including AFI Docs, IDFA and Ji.hlava IDFF. They were also nominated for several awards in Cairo Int’l Film Festival, Open City Docs and won an award in DMZ Docs.
Selections & Screenings 2024 - Ordinary World, Korean Cultural Centre, Paris, FR - Ordinary World, Korean Cultural Centre, London, UK 2023
- Ordinary World, Korean Cultural Centre, Berlin, DE
- Art Support Grant RE:SEARCH, Seoul Foundation of Arts and Culture
- TAPE Collective, London, UK / programe with UCL Film Soc’s Fest - True Story Film / online streaming
- NOWNESS Experiments / online publishing 2022 - Grants for Researching Int’l Art Platforms, ARKO Arts Council Korea 2021 - San Diego Asian Film Festival, San Diego, US / official selection - Ji.hlava IDFF, Jihlava, CZ / short film competition - EBS Int’l Documentary Festival, Goyang, KR / official selection - Equinoxio Film Festival, Bogota, CO /
- Otherfield Film Festival, East Sussex, UK / official selection - Lago Film Fest, Revine Lago, IT / official selection - Pragovka Gallery, Prague, CZ / special screening - Seoul Ind Women’s Film Festival, Seoul, KR / short film competition - AFI Docs, Washington, D.C., US / short film competition - Scottish Mental Health Arts Festival, Glasgow, UK / official selection - Alchemy Film and Arts Festival, Hawick, UK / official selection - Echoes of 24th Ji.hlava IDFF, Jihlava, CZ / special screening - Future Now Symposium, York, UK / special screening - Grants for Participating in Int’l Film Festivals, Korean Film Council - Ind Film Archive Collection Project, Korean Film Archive
2020 - Women Filmmakers Support Fund, Seoul Int'l Women’s Film Festival
- Cairo Int'l Film Festival, Cairo, EG / short film competition - IDFA, Amsterdam, NL / student documentary competition - Aesthetica Short Film Festival, York, UK / official selection - Ji.hlava IDFF, Jihlava, CZ / competition for experimental films - DMZ Docs, Goyang, KR / short doc award winner (Dir, Prod, Ed) - Open City Doc Festival, London, UK / UK short film award nominee
2019 MA - Film Directing, Edinburgh College of Art, UK 2017 BA - Television and Film & Art History, Ewha Womans[sic] University, KR 2014 Exchange Programme in Art History, Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona, ES
Programme 2022 a member of Louise the Women - Network of Female Artists in Visual Arts